Jun 07, 2020 | Public Relations | 1742 views
June 6th, 2020
Dear Families of Greater Kingston Junior Gaels,
I hope all of you are staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. Sorry I have not
reached out to you sooner, but I truly did not have a lot of good information to give to you. Hockey
Canada and the Ontario Hockey Federation had a presentation to its members last week on the plan
they have put together of how they picture our hockey season will go, when and only when we are given
the green light from the Province of Ontario and the Minister of Health.
The stages they presented are for your information and guidance. How we move forward will be the same from British Columbia to Newfound Land, but the timing may vary. There is no exact time frame for each stage, but this is the planned progression:
• 4 stages for return to hockey are: Phase
1 Where we are now. Prepare for staged process to return to play. Phase
2 Individual training, small groups Phase
3 Non traditional training. Begin play (modified, 3 on 3 or 4 on 4) Phase
4 Return to full programming
• Progress to return to play may be limited to specific area(s)
• Huge challenge with regards to differing facility layouts and requirements. OHF is working with Ontario Recreation Facilities Arena Operators Association.
At this time we are planning on:
• September tryouts
• Potential for different models depending on when the season starts
• Tournaments are not cancelled but are on hold. IF the season starts in September, tournaments will run as normal as long as no health restrictions are put back in place. It is very unlikely any travel to the USA will be approved, or for USA teams to enter Ontario.
• Parents will be in the stands, but there will be strict rules in regard to permissible areas of arena and seating
• Coaches and Trainers will receive courses online
At this time I can only ask for your patience as the new normal is created. Please keep your players healthy and active so they are ready to hit the ice as soon as we get the all clear! Please check the GK website frequently as we will keep it up to date with any information we receive.
Take care and stay safe,